Educatius Group Logo
Home » Children’s privacy notice

1. What is this notice about?

This notice is all about your personal information.

You have a legal right to be informed about how we (Student Exchange Australia New Zealand “SEANZ“) use any personal information that we hold about you.

To comply with this, we provide a ‘privacy notice’ to you about how we collect, store and use personal information about you.

2. Who should I contact if I have any questions?

Please contact us at AU: or NZ: with any questions you may have.

3. What is personal information?

Your personal information means any information that could be used to identify you.

This information includes:

  • Your contact details – which may include your name, email address, telephone number and address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your test results
  • Your attendance records
  • Your religion
  • Any additional learning needs
  • Any medical conditions you have
  • Details of any behaviour issues or exclusions
  • Photographs

4. Why do you need my personal information?

We use this information to:

  • Check if the program is right for your age and level of learning.
  • Get in touch with you and your parent(s) or guardian(s) when we need to.
  • Check how you’re doing and work out whether you need any extra help.
  • Look after your wellbeing.
  • Improve the quality of education you receive.
  • Consult with you about different aspects of the education you receive.
  • Identify where an external agency might be needed to help support you.
  • Check if you are allergic to any foods or cannot eat certain foods due to your religious beliefs.

5. What is your lawful basis for using my personal information?

Data protection law requires us to have a reason or justification, also known as a ‘lawful basis’, to use any of your personal information. We’ve identified the lawful bases we rely on in bold below.

Most often, we will use your information where:

  • We need to comply with the contract we have signed with you or your parent(s) / guardian(s) to provide you with an education – Contract.
  • We have a legal obligation to provide your information, such as for our fraud checks for payments – Legal Obligation.
  • We need to act quickly to protect your interests (or someone else’s interest), for example if we need to give your information to a hospital or the police – Vital Interests.
  • You or your parent(s) / guardian(s) have given us your permission to use it in a certain way – Consent.

Where we are relying on Consent to use your information, you or your parent(s) / guardian(s) may withdraw this at any time. We will make this clear when we ask for permission, and explain how to go about withdrawing consent.

6. Where did you get my personal information from?

Your parent(s), guardian(s) or agency will have given us some of your personal information when you applied. We may get information about you from other schools, the local council and the government, and you might also tell us about some other personal information whilst you are studying with us.

While in most cases you, or your parent(s) or guardian(s) or partner organisations must provide the personal information we need to collect, there are some occasions when you can choose whether or not to provide the information.

We will always tell you if it’s optional. If you must provide the information, we will explain what might happen if you don’t.

7. Is my personal information safe?

We will do our best to keep your personal information safe. For example:

  • Your personal information can only be seen by people who work for us or have signed up to our terms to agree that they will keep your personal information safe.
  • If your personal information is included on a piece of paper (for example a form) then that piece of paper has to be kept in a locked cupboard when it isn’t being looked at.
  • If your personal information is stored on a computer then that computer has to be locked when it isn’t being used.

8. Does anyone else see my personal information?

Sometimes we do let other people see your personal information. For example:

  • Our local authority (including social services) – to meet our safeguarding and exclusions obligations.
  • The Department for Education– to comply with statutory requests for a census which forms part of the UKs national statistics.
  • Your parent(s) or guardian(s) – so they know how you are doing on the course and can support with your education.
  • Educators and examining bodies – to enable enrolment in exams, the issuing of certificates and transcripts of achievement.
  • Our regulators/accrediting bodies – to comply with our legal obligations to be inspected as a school.
  • Suppliers and service providers – to enable them to provide the service we have contracted them for.
  • Health and social welfare organisations – to ensure you have access to appropriate health services and your wellbeing is catered for.
  • Police forces, courts, tribunals – to ensure you and other students are kept safe.
  • Professional bodies – to ensure standards are met with regard to various aspects of our provision and our staff performance & conduct.

9. How long do you keep my personal information for?

We will keep personal information about you while you are a student on the program sold by SEANZ. We may also keep it after you have left the program, where we are required to by Australia or New Zealand law.

We have a policy that tells us how long we must keep information about students. We will always destroy your information safely.

10. What are my rights?

You have lots of rights about how your information is used and what information we must give to you about your information. These rights can be complicated and may not always be available to you, so if you have any questions about your information you can always contact, or ask a parent, guardian or other adult to contact SEANZ.

In summary, you can ask SEANZ to:

  • access your personal data (also known as a “subject access request”);
  • correct incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you;
  • ask us to erase the personal data we hold about you;
  • ask us to restrict our handling of your personal data (only use it in a limited way);
  • ask us to transfer your personal data to a third party (such as to share with an agency);
  • object to how we are using your personal data (make a complaint); and
  • withdraw your consent to us handling your personal data.

11. Who can I contact if I have a complaint?

We take any complaints about how we collect and use your information very seriously, so please let us know if you think we’ve done something wrong by contacting our team:

AU: or NZ:

You or your parent or guardian can also contact the relevant Supervisory Authority which looks after people’s personal information.


We are the independent national regulator for privacy and freedom of information. We promote and uphold your rights to access government-held information and have your personal information protected.

Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)

175 Pitt Street
NSW 2000

Telephone from within Australia: 1300 363 992 (Enquiries Line)

Telephone from outside Australia: +61 2 9284 9749

Freedom of Information Requests:

New Zealand

If you still need help, phone us on 0800 803 909 (Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm). If you haven’t checked the website first, we’ll direct you to it.

Write to us at PO Box 10 094, Wellington 6143

Any questions?

Contact our team today

"*" indicates required fields

Student's information

Student or Guardian
Student's date of birth*

Guardian's information

Handling of personal data*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
LIVE Online Info Sessions

Please register here to learn more about Student Exchange

Learn more
Interested in hosting?

You can get involved by hosting an exchange student

Learn more
Classic High School Programs

Traditional exchange programs in all destinations

Learn more
High School Choice Programs

Tailor your high school exchange in the USA or Canada

Learn more

Education & Training Directorate, ACT Government

Learn more

NSW Department of Education

Learn more

Northern Territory Department of Education

Learn more

Queensland Department of Education & Training

Learn more

South Australia Department for Education

Learn more

Tasmanian Assessment, Standards & Certification

Learn more

Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority

Learn more

Western Australia Department of Education

Learn more