United States of America
The playwright Arthur Miller once said that the essence of America was its promise. For newly arrived immigrants and jet-lagged travelers alike, that promise of America can take on near mythic proportions. America is a land of dazzling cities, towering coast redwoods, alpine lakes, rolling vineyards, chiseled peaks, barren deserts and a dramatic coastline of unrivaled beauty. And that’s just California!
My exchange was life altering. There were unbelievable highs – memories burnt into my brain forever. My schooling was a blast. So many friends, the cafeteria, the nickname inevitably was given – “Hey Australia!” I loved my host family and we still keep in touch, because we went through/experienced so much together. It was a journey of self-discovery.
Johnathan Porthill – Year program to the USA
|Short Programs||Long Programs||Language Criteria||Immunisation||Gap Year||Online Video||Scholarships||Discounts|
|Short Programs||Long Programs✔||Language Criteria||Immunisation✔||Gap Year||Online Video✔||Scholarships✔||Discounts✔|
Next available departures for USA
|Length||Departure||Fee||Application deadline||Early Bird deadline||Scholarship deadline|
|LengthSemester||DepartureJan 2021||FeeAU $9950||Application deadline30/09/2020||Early Bird deadline31/03/2020||Scholarship deadline31/03/2020|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureJan 2021||FeeAU $10950||Application deadline30/09/2020||Early Bird deadline31/03/2020||Scholarship deadline31/03/2020|
|LengthSemester||DepartureAug 2021||FeeAU $TBC||Application deadline26/03/2021||Early Bird deadline31/10/2020||Scholarship deadline31/10/2020|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureAug 2021||FeeAU $TBC||Application deadline26/03/2021||Early Bird deadline31/10/2020||Scholarship deadline31/10/2020|
|LengthSemester||DepartureJan 2022||FeeAU $TBC||Application deadline30/09/2021||Early Bird deadline31/03/2021||Scholarship deadline31/03/2021|
|LengthAcademic Year||DepartureJan 2022||FeeAU $TBC||Application deadline30/09/2021||Early Bird deadline31/03/2021||Scholarship deadline31/03/2021|
Important Program Information
Please note that
- An arrival soft landing camp held in New York City is available at an additional cost for August arrivals.
- Optional Program Extras such as tours are available at additional cost.
- We can NOT offer 2 or 3 month programs to the USA due to visa restrictions. 2 & 3 month programs are available to Canada and other destinations. Click here to view the list of destinations.
- Students are eligible to go to the USA if they have NOT completed more than 11 years of primary and secondary study, exclusive of kindergarten.
- Students must be at least 15 years of age, but not more than 18 years and six months when their program starts.
- Students applying for the USA need to have school grades that are consistently above average.
- Any student who is currently in their final year of high school cannot apply for a January departure the following year. The USA does not accept recent graduates or GAP Year applicants.
- Students applying for the Year program departing in January of each will complete two Semesters with the USA summer break in the middle of their school year.
- Students applying for the Semester program will complete between 4 to 5 months based on the semester calendar of the school they are attending.
- There is a separate application form for the USA, including an online portion that can be accessed from our downloads page. Please contact us using the form below if you would like one posted out to you.
- SEVIS fee of $300 is charged in addition to the program fee.
The Give Back Exchange Fund will provide 120 exchange students across Australia and New Zealand with a grant that will dramatically reduce their program fee. Students will pay only for their flights, insurance, visa application fees and any required airport assistance fees. All other fees will be covered by the Give Back Exchange Fund.
The final deadlines for applications are listed below. There are a limited number of grants available, so don't leave asking your school for a nomination until the last minute.
- 1st March 2020 for August - September 2020 departures
- 31st March 2020 for January 2021 departures
August 2020 Location Options are Full
Students applying for the USA have the option to pick the location they would like to live in during their exchange for August departures only. Students can select up to 3 locations.
Students will need to complete a separate form if they’d like to select their location/s. This form is then sent with the application form to our overseas partner. If applicants are successfully placed in one of their preferred locations, then an additional location fee will be applied to the normal program price.
Providing you meet our usual eligibility criteria, your placement on one of these limited spots will be confirmed when your application is received by our office, accepted and your deposit paid.
Location selection options are subject to availability and are not guaranteed. You can view the Location Options for August 2021 departures and applicable fees by clicking here or below.
USA High School Choice Program
Choose the school you would like to study at during your exchange
Students who are looking to go on exchange to the USA have the option to apply for a semester or academic year program and choose from a range of schools or school districts in the USA.
Our USA High School Choice program allows students to enter the USA on an F1 visa. In addition to choosing where they would like to study while on exchange, the F1 visa allows the applicant to attend school on a full academic program. This provides the opportunity to gain study credits and diplomas needed to attend a University in the USA.
See above for our standard USA Exchange Program (J1 visa).
Find out more - Attend one of our Info Sessions
If you would like to find out more information on our programs, please attend one of our free LIVE Online sessions.
- Meet our staff
- Hear comprehensive information on all aspects of exchange
- Ask questions
- Listen to questions asked by other students and parents
- Meet other students who are considering going on exchange
Information evenings run for about an hour. They are friendly and free and are the best way for us to address your specific questions in person.